Hi, friends! This recipe will forever be on my “top five breakfast favorites” list! You will be amazed at how easy these are to whip up. Better yet? They are super portable, freezer friendly and filling! Many lazy mornings have included this dish and a large cup of OJ on the side. Each batch will make 12 breakfast cups. They keep well in the fridge for a few days, but I recommend freezing them if you’re wanting to keep them for awhile. When you’re ready to eat, simply pop em in the microwave for about 30 seconds to heat up; add 30 additional seconds if frozen. If you’re looking for a little extra kick, sprinkle a little hot sauce on top!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 1 pound of sausage (I like to use Jimmy Dean’s Premium Reduced Fat)
– 1 can of jumbo flaky layers biscuits
– 1 8 ounce block of cream cheese (I’m a fan of the 1/3 less fat; avoid fat free for this recipe)
– 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
– 1 cup cheddar cheese (2% works well if looking to shave off a few calories; avoid fat free here too, doesn’t melt well)
Steps to make:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Chop onion into fine pieces, place in a large skillet.
3. Add sausage to skillet and brown meat and onions at medium-high heat.
4. When meat is cooked through, add cream cheese and stir until melted and combined. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
5. Separate each biscuit into two halves and place one half in each well in muffin pan. Spread dough to cover sides of well.
6. Place a large spoonful of sausage mixture into each biscuit cup.
7. Bake for approximately 10 minutes then remove pan from oven.
8. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of cheese onto each biscuit cup.
9. Return to oven for an additional 6-7 minutes, or until biscuit is golden brown.
10. Let stand for about 5 minutes then remove from pan and enjoy!
I hope that you enjoy this breakfast treat as much as I do!