Sunday mornings call for a little something extra special served with your morning coffee! My choice for today? Blackberry scones! Martha Stewart’s Blueberry Scone recipe is my favorite to use, so today I just made a quick swap of blackberries for blueberries. The base of this recipe is great, so it is simple to substitute your favorite fruit into the mix.
Here’s what you’ll need:
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons white sugar, also keep a bit handy for scone tops
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cup rinsed blackberries
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 heavy cream, keep an additional bit to the side for scone tops
2 large eggs
Steps to make:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment. I prefer to use a baking mat, but either will work!
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or two forks if you don’t have a cutter. Lightly stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk cream and eggs. Pour into the center of the dry mixture and stir lightly until mixture becomes crumbly. Turn out mixture onto a floured surface and knead until mixed well. Be careful to not over-knead or scones will become chewy.
4. Form dough into an approximately six-inch square and cut into four squares. From there, cut each square diagonally in half to make a triangle. Place each scone on the baking sheet and brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes until the scones become golden brown.
6. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy!